Wednesday 30 November 2011

Idea for my work

In a previous post (Sunday 13th November) I explained that I wanted my work to focus on materialism and money. My research has led me to focus on a notion that much of society has grown tired of religion and has begun to worship money and fame. It seems that super star celebrities have become the new `gods' to be worshipped and adored by vunerable television viewers. These television `disciples' listen intently to the sermons delivered by celebrities about what we should be wearing, eating, looking like, listening to and thinking. My piece for this year is going to be a multi media installation that hopefully will link to this notion. I hope to create an installation that has a dual or hidden meaning; at first glance I want it to be seen as art that depicts a religious viewpoint using religious iconography and traditional materials and processes. I want to offer the viewers who choose to look a little closer, clues to an alternative way of viewing the piece that will give them an insight into a social viewpoint of the artist.

Whilst researching for my work I came across this article and thought that it summed up nicely what I am trying to say...

X Factor judge Simon Cowell is more famous than God or The Queen according to a survey of children under 10. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/6849184/Simon-Cowell-more-famous-than-God.html

No comments:

Post a Comment