Sunday 13 November 2011

3rd year focus

As mentioned, for year 3 I want to create something that gives the viewer an insight into who I am as a person. I have sat and thought about things in life that make me happy, sad, angry and confused and tried to think of ways of transforming those thoughts and feelings into art.
The theme that causes me the greatest stirring of emotion (after family) is money and material wealth and its importance in much of society. Money, it seems, is the only measure of success for many people; most would explain success in terms of job status, the accumulation of possesions and of monetary wealth. People are given status according to the clothes they wear, the car they drive and the post code that their houses fall under. This has been the case for a long time; reading John Berger's `Ways of Seeing' (1972) there is a chapter that talks about happiness being gained by buying products. He explains it as the happiness of being envied by others, which he labels as glamour.
I shall try to create art that highlights my views on how people's desires for money and material wealth is eroding society's moral and ethical values.

Reference:
Berger, J. (1972) Ways of Seeing. London: Penguin Books

No comments:

Post a Comment