Monday 24 October 2011

Year 3 module content.

Having reflected on my second year art and design module outcomes, I am very happy with what I have achieved and I feel that I managed to achieve the target that I had set myself. For my third year I want to develop and create work that has meaning and emotion. My criticism of the work I produced in my second year is that it was a little superficial; the pieces had no personal or emotional attachment to me as a person. Anybody looking at my pieces would not be able to make any judgement or comment about me, my attitudes, beliefs, moral viewpoints etc. As my understanding of art thinking and understanding is developing, I am realising the importance of (for the artist, or some at least) what art means, as well as what it looks like.
During the London art gallery trip (year 2) the tutors made a point of explaining to the group the importance of using accompanying literature for each piece of art to develop a notion of the artist's intent, or explanation of how the piece came to be. I had viewed the works of Jonathan Wateridge, thinking to myself that the work was what art should be- beautiful paintings with intricate detail and superb finish. Taking the tutors' advice, I read the tour guide description for each of the pieces and discovered a whole different aspect to the work and the artsist's thinking. Freeland (2001) uses the philosophical thinking of Arthur Danto to suggest that art can only be described as such if it carries meaning. The National Curriculum makes a sweeping statement that art and design promotes critical thinking and awareness of art and artists, and of the purpose of art (Great Britain. Department for Children, Schools and Families, 1999), but I wonder how much emphasis is put on teachers teaching art theory in primary schools? Thistlewood (1989) makes an interesting point when he comments on whether children who are being educated in art and design are taught to produce art for enjoyment or consumption; the enjoyment of creating art for the experience or for the appreciation of the product ?

Refs:

Freeland, C. (2001) Art theory. A Very Short Introduction. Oxford:Oxford University Press.

Great Britain.  Department for Children, Schools and Families. (1999) The National Curriculum handbook for primary teachers in England. London: Department for Education and Employment and Qualifications and Curriculum Authority.

Thistlewood, D. (1989) Critical Studies in Art and Design Education. Essex: Longman Group UK Limited

No comments:

Post a Comment